Friday, April 09, 2004

The Future of Purdue Basketball

It's official... Keady will have his Silver Anniversary Retirement Tour next year and Matt Painter will take over for him after spending next year as his Associate Head Coach. I'm torn on this one. Mr. Painter is a basketball junky... son of a coach... a young coach that had success last year... but one without much of a track record. Painter could be the next Knight, or he could be the next Quin Snyder. On one hand I'm glad Purdue didn't make a run on a proven successful existing head coach, but on the other I'm disappointed they didn't stay in the family with Steve Lavin.

I will give Kudos to Purdue for having an exit strategy for Keady. He deserved the right to close out his career at Purdue and they are letting him do that, while still setting up the future.

And, this lets Thad Matta return to Xavier for next year and when IU buys out Davis contract at the end of next year, Thad might be available to take over an IU program in Shambles!

No comments: