Wednesday, February 08, 2006

IU - Wisconsin Postgame

Random thoughts:

Why is it that ESPN always previews the upcoming IU game with "Marco Killingsworth and the Indiana Hoosiers coming up next"???

Since when is Wisconsin the rival of IU Basketball? When I think Rivals, I think Purdue, Kentucky, Notre Dame, even Illinois. Not Wisconsin.

So according to Calloway in the Indy Star today... the IU style is... push the ball... up tempo... then why the H@!! did IU walk the ball up the court the first 7 times down the court? Then chuck 3s without driving to the bucket. Way to use Calloway's speed. 0-4 from 3 pt range and 4 pts in the first 6 minutes.

My compliments to DJ White for wearing a tie on the bench while out for the season. Very professional!

"Too much pastry, english pastry, on that layup attempt" - Lavin What????

"Not a good looking offense for Indiana" - Musberger Thanks Brent... we've known that for 6 years.

6 pts in 11 minutes... gotta love that up-tempo IU Style. Wisconsin 20 - IU 6. 8:36

Tirico, Theismann and Kornheiser in the MNF booth. ICK!

Did I just see IU run a pick and roll to the basket and they fed Marco on the cut? That's a reverse OLE!

Did I really hear Erin Andrews say that Davis told her the following about the UCONN game? "I knew we were finished when Marco got his second foul."

Kudos to IU's defense tonight. They really fought over the screens and prevented easy buckets for the Badgers. That kept them in the game in the first half as their offense sure didn't.

Mark it down 3:23 left in the first half and Calloway drove to the basket, drew the foul and made both free throws. Then a drive to the hoop that got blocked out of bounds. Then 2 free throws while being fouled on a drive next possession. Too bad Davis slowed him down the next 3 possessions which led to a missed forced 3, another missed forced 3 and a 3rd missed forced 3.

What was with Davis' 5 guard lineup to close out the last 3 minutes of the half? A 4 pt Wisky lead became 11 as IU couldn't defend inside until Wilmont hit the 2 at the buzzer.

Wisconsin 31 - Indiana 22 at the half.

Is that the Big Dog rapping for the B10? Yes I know it's not, but he does look like a young Glenn Robinson.

Nice foul to start the half Marco... "That's just poor decision making." - Lavin Wow, I agree with Lavin. Scary.

What was with Marco's gimme misses? If Marco had a right hand, or could jump, those would have been dunks.

Ole!

Ole!

So with Killer getting his 4th foul with 14:31 and a 16 pt deficit, will that help IU?

I thought IU had a deep bench? With 12 minutes left, the bench has scored ZERO.

I didn't realize that Suhr (Pepper Pot) was a manager, then walk on, then scholarship player at MADISON. Thanks Mushberger.

Hmmm... without Killer, IU went on a 7-0 run.

Without Marco in the game, IU drove to the bucket and drew fouls. Unfortunately Vaden couldn't make his. But Earl did make 6 of 6.

Wisky went right at Marco and got him to foul out with 10 minutes left.

"The Hoosiers continue to play Horrific basketball" - Don Fischer when I flipped on the radio at the IU Timeout down 57-38 with 9 minutes left. Hey Don, is that my fault?

So with Marco out and IU down 18, why was Mike playing a 5 guard offense? Wouldn't that have been a good time to get Allen, Dinc some playing time? I mean Dinc has only played 8 minutes in 3 games this year. Nice to use up the redshirt for that.

When IU called a time out with 47 seconds left and the Wisky fans boo'd, do you think Mike thought is was us fans booing him?

Another original chant from the Wisky students... Thank you Marco!

Wisconsin 72 - IU 54 5-4 in the B10

4 losses out of the last 5. Is IU in 3rd now that they are 2 games back in the loss column? My math says 7th.

Mike's post game
First I want to thank God for the opportunity. We felt good about the game but they have only lost 1 conference game. We can't get confused that this is a bad team. I told our team they are a good team. Again Marco picked up 2 fouls early. I find it amazing that an Official can walk over to you and say that he needs to settle down 2 minutes into the game. I mean Marco is a target. Him being in foul trouble every game is a crime. I go back and watch film and some of these are a mystery to me but that is the way the game is. We pushed the ball the way we wanted to. We got it inside but missed layups. We got the ball out on transition, but got called for charges. We had a chance. The shooting is a mystery to me. We are just missing shots. We gotta make sure we take care of homecourt on Saturday. Tucker was the guy for them he had 29 points. He can play for 38 minutes and not have any fouls. Amazing.
Time for IU to go on a run to close out the season. If they don't, Mike just might be done and all my ammunition is going to be gone. What will I write about next year? The thought of IU without Mike is scary. Well not really.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Too much pastry, english pastry, on that layup attempt"

Ugh...

more inane, insipid comments from sports broadcasters.

I'm convinced you have to fail an IQ test to get into the booth.

It's one of the reasons I hardly watch sports anymore.

February looks to be especially rough. The Oh?lympics loom ominously on the horizon. I eagerly await the tails of woe and all the trails and tribulations the athletes have overcome.

If I'm lucky the might show a little skiing.

Spork Boy said...

I'm ready to return my Hoosier Nation card. But wait, would that mean tonight's loss is my fault?

I agree with Davis on one point: IU missed shots. Oh my did they miss shots.

Other than that, that may have been the worst game I've ever seen. Then again, I didn't see the Minnesota game.