Monday, January 09, 2006

Sad News for DJ White!

I hate hearing stuff like this. 4 years in college go by so quickly as it is... having to miss any time due to injury just plain sucks!

DJ White Injures Left Foot - IUHoosiers.com

A very classy statement from DJ.
"I am disappointed about the injury, but I think we have the type of team that rallies around these kind of things," White said. "We have several players who can step up inside with Marco, Ben, Sean and even Robert (Vaden). It will be hard watching from the bench again, but I am going to support my teammates and help in any way I am able to help."
Early in the season, DJ was a very emotional cheerleader on the sideline. I'm sure he will continue to stay in the game from the bench and provide that extra lift.

As good of a player as DJ is, I don't think this will have a dramatic effect on the team this year. Because of the injury early in the year, IU has been playing well without him. Even with DJ back the last 5 games, Davis rarely played the 2 together. Whether it was because DJ wasn't 100% healthy, or because Davis prefers a 4 guard offense, or Davis made promises about playing time to Marco, IU can and has played well without him.

Where I am concerned, is that Ben Allen is now going to be thrust into the spotlight and unfortunately Davis didn't get Allen much playing time earlier this season. Allen is going to make Freshman mistakes and IU is going to have to live with those coming during the B10 season instead of getting them out of the way when the games don't matter. Good luck Ben!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

how can you say this wont hurt the team? this loss is devastating! with dj this team was going undefeated the rest of the way to win a ncaa championship. without him, they are going to struggle and will probably lose 5 or 6 more games.

poor mike davis just cant buy a break

Bigby said...

That really stinks for you guys. Being from Ball State, I can really feel your pain and know how devastating injuries can be (we've had a critical injury or two every year for the last 4 or so). You are very lucky to have Marco, although DJ was much more of a force against us this year than Marco.

Steve Straiger said...

Bigby, you and your fellow Cardinals have my sympathies when it comes to injuries. I would have liked to have seen your team compete with Stovall this year.